[Rcpp-devel] Consuming power of R outines through C++

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jun 17 13:40:11 CEST 2013

Hi, Umesh,

On 17 June 2013 at 10:59, Umesh Chitre wrote:
| Guys,
|
| I am pretty new to R, but quite interested in the analytics and hence reading lot of stuff around it for few weeks now. I am quite
| fammiliar with C++ environment and would like to build some samples in C++ which could consume the power of R. I have
| installed RCpp and R environment on windows. I would appreciate your response to following queries:
|
| 1. Is RCpp enough for calling in R through C++?

I am not sure I really understand your question.

But in case you are unclear about what Rcpp needs to be used, please see the
Rcpp-FAQ vignette included in the package, and available at the CRAN website
and its mirror.

| 2. There is also a package (I think it is RCOM) that is used with a COM server which apparently allows invoking R routines through C++. In that case, would RCpp still be required?

The teo have nothing to do with each other.

RCOM can be used only on Windows.

Rcpp is generic and can be used whereever you can compile code for use with
R. That includes Windows but is not limited to Windows.

As for use of Rcpp along with Microsoft compilers, see the Rcpp-FAQ.

Dirk