[Rcpp-devel] Two problem trying to install a package with modules (e.g. testmod) on windows and on CRAN

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 12 18:33:10 CET 2013

On 12 January 2013 at 18:12, Robin Girard wrote:
| Merci !
| Both problem were solved by starting everything from begin (with Rcpp skeleton). Note that it took me time to understand that the aim of option module in the Rcpp.skeleton is not to help you introduce you module but produce something that you can modify with your own module name.

Yup. But it's tricky. 'rcpp.package.skeleton()' also works without modules,
and existed before modules were added, so this may be the best compromise.

Suggestions (patches even !!) for clearer documentations are always appreciated.

| >From what I understood the only difference with what was before in my code is that
| .onLoad <- function(libname, pkgname) {
| loadRcppModules()
| }
| was replaced by loadModule("mymodule")

Yes, that was something John Chambers changed in the R (and then the Rcpp
guts) not quite year ago.  It is better now, but it required a change.

| This solved the first problem (the "note" asking for methods)
| so I tried to upload the package on CRAN and it worked ... second problem solved in the same time !

:)

| Again I'm really impressed of how easy it was to port c++ code  with Rcpp module (not only high level function but objects and methods ...) on R, you guys are great !

There are some limites to modules (no load/save across sessions as we can't
ensure the memory location, no multiple inheritance) but for many things it
is indeed pretty peachy.

Glad it is all working for you.