[Rcpp-devel] Regarding question on a suitable IDE for C++ project using Rcpp in Window (7) OS

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 10 18:30:23 CET 2013

The inability to use Visual Studio for compiling code to use with R is not
peculiar to Rcpp.  The Windows version of R is compiled with mingw
compilers and requires compatible compilers for other code.  Remember that
R is an Open Source project and Visual Studio isn't.

As far as an IDE goes, RStudio (rstudio.org) provides integration of Rcpp
in a GUI environment.  Support for Rcpp in RStudio is likely to keep
improving as JJ Allaire is actively involved in the development of Rcpp.
 Many of us use ESS in emacs but that's because we predate GUI's. (I tell
you, sonny, back in my day we had terminals with 80 by 24 character screens
and 300 baud modems and we still created better code than these
whippersnappers can today! :-)