[Rcpp-devel] problem compiling package using Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 3 02:38:02 CET 2013

Hi Nick,

On 2 January 2013 at 17:00, Nick Matzke wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I had a package that made use of Rcpp and compiled well in R
| 2.14.  However, I just updated to R 2.15.2, and updated Rcpp
| etc. to the current standard, and now I get a compile error
| right at the end.  Any hints about what might cause this?
| It looks kind of like an Rcpp problem and not something with
| my package code, which didn't change.

Can you let us know what the Depends: are?
| ** testing if installed package can be loaded
| Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
|    unable to load shared object
| '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/phyRmcmc/libs/x86_64/phyRmcmc.so':
|
| dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/phyRmcmc/libs/x86_64/phyRmcmc.so,
| 6): Symbol not found:
| __ZN4Rcpp8internal14r_vector_startILi10EiEEPT0_P7SEXPREC
|    Referenced from:
| /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/phyRmcmc/libs/x86_64/phyRmcmc.so
|    Expected in: flat namespace
|   in
| /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/phyRmcmc/libs/x86_64/phyRmcmc.so
| Error: loading failed
| Execution halted
| ERROR: loading failed
| * removing
| ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/phyRmcmc’
| Warning message:
| In install.packages(packagename, lib =
| "/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/",  :
|    installation of package ‘phyRmcmc’ had non-zero exit status

I think this is not a problem with your build. It seems like you try to load
another package _which itself needs a rebuild_.   Could be as simple has
having to rebuild RcppArmadillo.

We did make a chance in 0.10.1 which required all packages using Rcpp to be
reinstalled.  We try to keep such changes to a minimum, but sometimes you
gotta do what you gotta do...

| =====================================
|

| One other difference between the compilation runs:
|
| These are in my package:
| basics.cpp
| calc_anclikes_sp.cpp
| rcpp_hello_world.cpp
| rcpp_module.cpp
|
| But the compilation of these:
| Num.cpp
| stdVector.cpp
|
| ...is new I think, this didn't happen when I compiled in
| 2.14 IIRC.

I have no idea what you are trying to day, and please note that your example
is __NOT REPRODUCIBLE__ as we do not have your sources.  Always try to
distill to small reproducible cases.

Dirk

[tons of stuff and two novels omitted]