[Rcpp-devel] Efficient DataFrame access by row & column

Kevin Ushey kevinushey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 01:07:19 CET 2013

Another thing worth thinking about: perhaps the easiest way to side-step
the issue is to work with a NumericMatrix rather than a DataFrame. At
least, from the example you gave, it sounds like a container where you have
the expectation that each column is a NumericVector of equal length.

If you can make the switch to NumericMatrix, then you can generate and
operate with row/column views, e.g. NumericMatrix::Row and
NumericMatrix::Column, which will generate references to rows / columns and
hence avoid copying. (These are generated whenever you do e.g. x(i, _) or
x(_, i) on a NumericMatrix x).

-Kevin