[Rcpp-devel] Mersenne Twister in RcppArmadillo?

Simon Zehnder szehnder at uni-bonn.de
Sun Feb 10 09:50:36 CET 2013

Dear Yan, dear Dirk,

thank you for these very precise answers! I think at the beginning I'll fall back to the R RNG. I will test if it is faster to create an Armadillo vector/matrix and fill it via R::rnorm, or if it is faster to use Rcpp sugar and change the Rcpp::NumericVector to an arma::vec via arma::conv_to.

Btw Dirk, this is a nice overview given at the Rcpp gallery for timing random number generators.

Your HPC library Random123 looks pretty interesting to me. I am very into HPC and use openMP and OpenMPI a lot. In this case however, I have to use specifically a Mersenne Twister RNG, as I want to compare results from my older simulation package, using Scythe Statistical Library, and my newer one using RcppArmadillo. As Scythe uses MT, I want to use the same RNG and same seed to have results comparable to each other.

Later on, when I know all results are plausible, I will concentrate on speed.

Best

Simon