[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen needs 1GB memory to compile

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Dec 3 12:51:08 CET 2013

Le 03/12/2013 12:38, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> On 2 December 2013 at 14:43, Douglas Bates wrote:
> | On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
> |     Do you think we should move fastLm out?
> |

> | And face the "Wrath of Achim" for removing a function that is described in a
> | JSS paper?
>
> We could add a 'Suggests: RcppEigenFastLm' (or whichever name we end up with).
>
> It would help with a thing or too -- didn't you even discover a slight
> NAMESPACE issue on the R side recently?
>
> On 3 December 2013 at 08:47, Romain Francois wrote:
> | without them, we (you) could deliver the packages as just headers. Most
> | people depend on these packages to get the library, not to get this
> | package's incantation of fastLm.
> |
> | I find them more useful as documentation items outside of the package,
> | kind of like "look how I can do fastLm with this one". This has been
> | useful in training sessions for example.
>
> Yes.  Hence my question to Doug.
>
> And headers-only wasn't an option when fastLm() was first set up.

Of course it was. We could definitely have RcppEigen header only even
with CRAN not header only Rcpp.

Those are two orthogonal things.

> Might be time to improve on things after the 0.10.7 / 0.11.0 release.

Releasing a new version of packages that depend on Rcpp after the header
only version is released is a cheap and good way to deal with
compatibility issues, e.g. deal with RcppEigen expecting libRcpp.

--
Romain Francois
Professional R Enthusiast