[Rcpp-devel] RcppEigen needs 1GB memory to compile

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Dec 3 08:47:20 CET 2013

Le 02/12/2013 21:43, Douglas Bates a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org
> <mailto:edd at debian.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 2 December 2013 at 13:52, Douglas Bates wrote:
>     | The important thing is to use the -g0 flag.  Even though RcppEigen
>     is  a
>
>     Right.
>
>     And for the opencpu server deployment, you may want to edit the -g out
>     /etc/R/Makeconf as well. As I recall, there was an r-devel thread in
>     which
>     the desire to override such 'earlier' settings in what R CMD ...
>     uses via
>     later settings, and as I recall Simon stated that it couldn not be done.
>
>     | header-only package we include an example R function fastlm. If
>     you leave the
>     | symbols in the DLL file you get a massive library size whereas
>     stripping the
>     | symbols provides you with a much smaller file size.  And because
>     packages that
>     | use RcppEigen only use the headers, not the DLL file, it doesn't
>     matter if the
>     | symbols are stripped.
>
>     Do you think we should move fastLm out?
>

> And face the "Wrath of Achim" for removing a function that is described
> in a JSS paper?

If I may, I find these various fastLm function a bit of a pollution of
packages like RcppArmadillo, RcppEigen, ...

without them, we (you) could deliver the packages as just headers. Most
people depend on these packages to get the library, not to get this
package's incantation of fastLm.

I find them more useful as documentation items outside of the package,
kind of like "look how I can do fastLm with this one". This has been
useful in training sessions for example.

But now presumably, I'll get replies in the "this has been there for
years" department.

Romain

--
Romain Francois