[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp / g++ ignoring TMPDIR

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Dec 2 18:19:29 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> As I said when we hashed this out some more in private mail, I'd try
> setting
>  TMPDIR in /etc/profile or alike. Or just try to have a working /tmp
> directory.
> Surely you are not the only AppArmor user with that issue?

Well it's not so much an issue of AppArmor, more of using g++ with an
process-specific TMPDIR, which I guess hasn't been tested a lot. I can
easily work around the problem by relaxing the sandbox a bit and allowing
g++ to create files under /tmp. I've done that on the server, and now all
Rcpp packages build fine. However it would be more elegant if g++ would
just inherit TMPDIR from the R process (and I am convinced it was doing
that before). Anyway things are working again:

https://public.opencpu.org/ocpu/cran/RcppExamples
https://public.opencpu.org/ocpu/cran/RcppArmadillo
https://public.opencpu.org/ocpu/cran/lme4/