[Rcpp-devel] Additional parameters for an objective function, e.g. in RcppDE

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Apr 29 05:44:07 CEST 2013

On 29 April 2013 at 12:37, Christoph Bergmeir wrote:
| Dear list,
|
| I'm looking for some advice on a specific problem. Using RcppDE there is
| the possibility to give the optimizer directly an external pointer to
| the C++ function it will use as the objective function. I found this
| mechanism pretty useful as it may speed up things quite a lot (I have a
| problem where the speedup is from 17 minutes to some seconds), so that I
| use the same mechanism as RcppDE in our package Rmalschains and in the
| Rdonlp2 package, which is available from Rmetrics on Rforge.
|
| The problem that this mechanism has is that it cannot handle additional
| parameters to the objective function. Having additional parameters is

I think it can. The DEoptim folks, particularly Josh, pointed this out and
the best general way is to assign all you need in a new environment -- which
you can assign to from R and (thanks to Rcpp) from C++.  Then pass that down.

I think I have an example of that in the package but I don't have time right
now to chase this.

But yes, this _is_ a very neat feature and something that needs broader
exposure.

Maybe I can help in a few days.

Dirk