[Rcpp-devel] Compile errors in first attempt to use Rcpp/RInside

Paul Johnson paul at askerko.net
Sat Apr 13 22:10:39 CEST 2013

I'm using Mac OS X 10.8.3 with Xcode 4.6.1 and Mountain Lion Command Line
Tools (March 2013).

I've installed R.app v.3.0 and in R.app I've installed the packages Rcpp
and RInside.

In Xcode I've set Framework Search Paths to /Library/Frameworks and Header
Search Paths to /Library/Frameworks/R.framework. (For the latter I've
specified "recursive".)

I'm getting many fatal compile-time errors in String.h.
(full path name:
/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/3.0/Resources/library/Rcpp/include/Rcpp/String.h)

(Incidentally, the Xcode Issue Navigator shows string.h (lower case s) for
the file name, which is puzzling as file names are case sensitive.)

I'm using the default compiler. Clang LLVM 1.0 reports 20 errors and then
gives up.

So…

I'm unsuccessful running my first simple test case and am stumped. Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

My test program is:

#include <RInside.h>
int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
    RInside R(argc, argv);              // create an embedded R instance
    R["txt"] = "Hello, world!\n"; // assign a char* (string) to 'txt'
    R.parseEvalQ("cat(txt)");           // eval the init string, ignoring
any returns
    return 0;