[Rcpp-devel] Unit Test Question Was: pnorm/qnorm?

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 17:56:30 CEST 2012

conclusion: Romain Francois is an absolute beast of a programmer

A stupid-ish question: how do ReferenceClasses map onto Rcpp objects?
Have people done this?  Where can I look for examples?

Also, are other people who use Rcpp falling into the habit of using
'=' instead of '<-' for assignment in R, so that moving code to C++
goes more smoothly?
Is there any real downside to this habit?  It came up at the BioC
conference developer day this year and was more or less immediately
dismissed.

Thanks all,

--t

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 13 September 2012 at 04:58, Christian Gunning wrote:
> | On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:59 AM,
> | <rcpp-devel-request at lists.r-forge.r-project.org> wrote:
> | >
> | > The "pixie dust" referred to your assertions that we "used some secret tools"
> | > or "were hiding something".
> | >
> | > Neither one is true.  It's all there.  It's just damn hard to read. But it's
> | > not hidden...
> |
> | I'm officially of the opinion the template code is isomorphic to magic
> | pixie dust:  works, works well, don't really understand it.
> | I've been meaning to ask, though... what's with the conspicuous lack
> | of comments in the codebase?  Is this just a terse coding style?
>
> There are some comments in some places.  Generally speaking, not enough
> though.  But if you to the sources and recurse through inst/include/ and src/
> and count lines you end up with ... 60,000 lines.  That's a lot.
>
> And a good deal of it was written by Romain in a fairly short and insanely
> productive period.  And on the margin I'd rather have working code than more
> documentation and less code ...
>
> And we do have eight vignettes though (including the one you lead :-) so it's
> not all lost.  And then again, if need to make a difference between
> __interfaces__ which clearly documentation for users and __implementation__
> which does need it less.
>
> Dirk
>
> --
> Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com

A model is a lie that helps you see the truth.

Howard Skipper