[Rcpp-devel] Catching parse errors with RInside::parseEval()

Theodore Lytras thlytras at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 01:30:45 CEST 2012

Hello all,

I am using RInside in my application to execute some R code with parseEval()
and parseEvalQ().

However, if the R code passed to parseEval() contains syntax errors, my
application crashes with an error ("Error: Parse Error: <expression>.
Execution halted").

I tried putting the parseEval() call inside a try...catch block (as per the
RInside examples) but no exception seems to be thrown.

Isn't there any way to detect these parse errors without crashing the
application?

Thanks,

Theodore