[Rcpp-devel] NA value for dates

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 6 18:05:38 CEST 2012

On 6 October 2012 at 09:21, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| Keep going. Keep sending email. I have some errands to do but will be around
| email frequently enough.

I had a look too. It is not as simple.

For now, I recommend you simply do /not use/ NA, NaN, ... for dates. I think
R catches a lot of that logic at the R level, replicating those tests and
special cases at the C++ layer is more involved that just passing an int or
float NA around.  Maybe you can get by using Date(-123) (yielding a valid
date in 1969) or some other sentinel as a magic marker.