[Rcpp-devel] A beginners guide to Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 30 01:43:31 CET 2012

On 29 November 2012 at 19:08, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
| That is only the case if you don't know C or C++ .  Many people who
| are using these interfaces already know C and in that case the  .C
| interface is trivial (its just a simple interface) whereas Rcpp is a
| new environment you have to learn to program in.
|
| The trivial amount of time to learn .C for anyone who knows C is
| hardly comparable to the effort to learn a new environment even if
| that environment is a nice one.

I don't mean to come down hard on you personally but consider that

  a) All this is irrelevant in the context of this list. We do Rcpp here, it
     requires .Call. We do what we do here because we want to send _whole R
     objects around_ and not "K & R 1987 style" double vectors with a
     counter.

  b) There was recent thread on r-devel, and I would kind ask you to send you
     defence of .C() there.  As I read the tea leaves, .Call() is it with
     changes for R 2.16.0 and beyond and larger indices.  .C() is legacy and
     (per that thread) discouraged for new projects.

I suspect that I personally have not used .C in my programming in a decade.