[Rcpp-devel] [Bioc-devel] mzR 1.4.0 crashes R at loading

Steffen Neumann sneumann at ipb-halle.de
Thu Nov 22 22:41:54 CET 2012

Hi,

On Thu, 2012-11-22 at 15:22 -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> But as soon as we change a structure or header somewhere, things potentiall
> go boom.  We try to be careful, but we are also eager to get new "stuff" out.

New stuff is great! The problem is if the ABI changes,
and normal shared libraries have the same problem, I guess.
There, the dynamic linker somehow solves the problem,
using the SONAME, and complaining on mismatch. Can there be
something similar in R/Rcpp ? Something that'd give a proper
error message upon package loading, instead of crashes
and frustrated end-users ?

Yours,
Steffen

--
IPB Halle                    AG Massenspektrometrie & Bioinformatik
Dr. Steffen Neumann          http://www.IPB-Halle.DE