[Rcpp-devel] Eigen vs Arma -- was: Re: Ceres nonlinear least squares solver

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu May 3 14:43:39 CEST 2012

On 3 May 2012 at 08:20, Whit Armstrong wrote:
| Doug,
|
| Apologies for my question, it's a little off topic from your original
| post (hence the modified subject).
|
| I've integrated Armadillo into the new mcmc packages I've been
| developing without giving much thought to Eigen.
|
| Unfortunately, the benchmarks page on the Armadillo site doesn't
| provide an Eigen benchmark: http://arma.sourceforge.net/speed.html
|
| Likewise, for the Eigen benchmark page:
| http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Benchmark
|
| In your experience, do you find it to be faster than Armadillo?  Have
| you done any benchmarking? If so, can you share the results (or the
| code)?

I have two data points for you:

 a) Section 4.7 of the RcppEigen vignette has a fairly extensive timing
    comparison which includes a table:
    http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RcppEigen/vignettes/RcppEigen-intro-nojss.pdf    That code is in the package.

 b) The CRAN package robustHD implements robust high-dimensional data methods
    using RcppArmadillo; Andreas Alfons also chose to provide an RcppEigen based
    'drop-in' that can be used where Eigen works and as I recall he stated
    issues on OS X.  Andreas sent me some comparisons which generally showed
    another slight pick-up from Eigen comparable to what a) shows.  Andreas
    also posted here, though no real benchmarks.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

--
R/Finance 2012 Conference on May 11 and 12, 2012 at UIC in Chicago, IL
See agenda, registration details and more at http://www.RinFinance.com