[Rcpp-devel] Very Large Matrices in RcppArmadillo

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 17 18:08:01 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM, French, Joshua
<JOSHUA.FRENCH at ucdenver.edu> wrote:
> Thank you all for the responses.
>
> Christian, I didn't know about the copy_aux_mem option.  I will have to
> take a look at that.
>
> Dirk, thanks for looking into the 64-bit matrix indices.
>
> Doug, the place in my code where I get the error is when I multiply
> matrices.  I might have matrices X and Y, where X is 300000x500 and Y is
> 500x300000 and I want Z = X * Y.

You will need to come up with another algorithm.  The size of Z is
3,000,000 by 3,000,000 and storing this as a dense matrix will require
about 67 terabytes of memory

> (3000000 * 3000000 * 8) / 2^30
[1] 67055.23

I don't think even Google has that much memory available.  You are
going to have to work with a decomposition.  For example a QR
decomposition can represent the matrix X as a (virtual) orthogonal
matrix Q of size 3,000,000 by 3,000,000 and R an upper triangular 500
by 500 matrix but stored in essentially the same amount of space as
the original matrix X.