[Rcpp-devel] link issue when Rcpp package is installed in a path with space

Ken Williams Ken.Williams at windlogics.com
Tue Jul 17 17:19:42 CEST 2012

Strictly speaking, I *do* have R installed in a path without spaces.  It's called C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-215~1.1/ .  I just can't convince the toolchain to use that path without mucking with it.

Additionally, spaces are not the only problem, they're just the most common one.  But other characters will cause problems too, including semicolons, brackets, asterisks, parentheses, certain tildes, and so on.  Like spaces, those are all perfectly valid in file/directory names when properly quoted or escaped from the shell.  In general, when I see shell quoting problems when a script does a system call, it raises a red flag, and that shell call should be eliminated in favor of a direct exec() that doesn't invoke the shell at all and thus doesn't process metacharacters.

That's why I was advocating switching to system2(), which would get rid of all those problems in one fell swoop.  But it looks like quite a hurdle, because if I'm correct, it's something that would need to be changed in R core, is that correct?

 -Ken

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.