[Rcpp-devel] Configuring GSL headers and library for RcppGSL use on windows

Silkworth,David J. SILKWODJ at airproducts.com
Fri Jul 6 02:21:10 CEST 2012

Thanks for quick reply, Dirk.  I proceeded to create a LIB_GSL variable in my Windows environment and set it =C:\GnuWin32 per the installation I originally discussed.  On a quick check of the RcppGSLExample package included in the RcppGSL source package: R CMD check RcppGSLExample I originally got error messages indicating that gsl/gsl_vector.h could not be found.  I reversed the slash in my LIB_GSL variable definition (then another reboot of my computer) and I got passed that library problem.

Now my cmd.exe run fails with a windows message box:
 Rterm.exe - Unable To Locate Component
"This application has failed to start because libgsl.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

A press of OK lets the cmd window finish its installation check, which indicates an ERROR and report on failed installation of the RcppGSLExample package.

There is a sentence in the Description of GSL for Windows at the download site I previously referenced that states:
"If you will be using one of the dynamic libraries, add GSL_DLL to the list of predefined macros; so for use with Mingw / GCC, add -DGSL_DLL"

I get the impression  that we should have a suitable Mingw build here.  The libgsl.dll is in the \bin folder under my LIB_GSL location.  In the \lib folder there are libgsl.a,libgsl.dll.a and a txt file libgsl.def.

The libgsl.def is a long file starting with . . .

EXPORTS
gsl_version
gsl_acosh
gsl_asinh
gsl_atanh
gsl_blas_caxpy
gsl_blas_ccopy

and going through the list of modules that each appear to have a corresponding header gsl_xxxx.h file.

I added the "-DGSL_DLL" to this list (gosh, what other list could be the "list of pre-defined macros" be?)
 AND I copied the file libgsl.dll found in the \bin folder as an addition to the \lib folder.

No apparent change occurred on the R CMD check RcppGSLExample.  Same crash of Rterm.exe with same error in the 00install.out report:

** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
  unable to load shared object 'C:/RcppPack/RcppGSLExample.Rcheck/RcppGSLExample/libs/i386/RcppGSLExample.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.