[Rcpp-devel] how to compile Rcpp for beginner

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 11 18:17:54 CET 2012

Kai,

On 11 January 2012 at 11:00, Kai Sun wrote:
| Dear all,
|
| I am new to R and Rcpp, but I am a decent C/C++ programmer in Windows.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You are currently paying for the somewhat steep learning curve with R. The
good news that a steep slope implies rapid progress too.

The rest of your mail makes it clear that you are very new to the R package
system.  Find a good R introductory texts, read it and learn about other
(simpler) packages.

Then, and only then, come back to Rcpp.

Lastly, the answer to your question is

	R CMD INSTALL Rcpp_0.9.9.tar.gz

or, as you are on Ubuntu

        sudo apt-get install r-cran-rcpp.

But you *do* need to read those intro texts to understand what R CMD INSTALL
does.  The rest follows from there.

Dirk

| It took me days to read and search for solution to compile Rcpp. I
| just could not figure it out. Could anybody give me some hints? Any
| help will be highly appreciated!
|
| Here is my system: Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit, R 2.14.1 (compiled from source
| codes with shared lib enabled) in my directory.
|
| Under "src" directory of Rcpp, there is a "Makevars" file which
| suppose to help me. Online doc says I need to do "R CMD build". But
| how shall I do it? What is "R CMD"? To be honest, I have no experience
| with "Makevars". From my knowledge, it is not a Makefile, maybe a part
| of it.
|
| Does anyone can kindly offer me a step by step instruction on how to
| build Rcpp? I know this might be simple for most people. But it means
| huge to me.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Kai Sun

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx