[Rcpp-devel] Problems running RInside 0.2.5 on Windows with R 2.14.1 and Rtools 21[45]

Diomidis Spinellis dds at aueb.gr
Mon Jan 2 17:33:23 CET 2012

On 02/01/2012 17:33, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 2 January 2012 at 16:30, Diomidis Spinellis wrote:
> | Happy new year and thanks for the excellent work you've put on RInside.
> |   I wouldn't trouble you with this, but I saw your recent Stackoverflow
> | response indicating that RInside should work under Windows [1].  I'm
> | also experiencing problems with RInside under Windows using a procedure
> | you described as basically correct in 2010 [2], and I'm willing to help
> | debug them.
>
> As of the last release 0.2.5 (which you seem to be using) everything should
> just work with 'make -f Makefile.win' in the examples/standard/ directory.
>
> What is your platform if it doesn't work?  I tested on XP 32bit, R 2.14.0 (or
> rc), Rtools 2.14.

The problem manifests itself under Windows 7 Professional 64bit (Version
6.1, Build 7601; Service Pack 1), R 2.14.1, Rtools 214 (also tried 215),
R.dll version 2.141.57956.0.

> | Running rinside_module_sample0 I get a SIGSEGV in trio_strerror. This is
> | called from a 1018 element call stack, which includes the following
>
> Modules is always extra tricky; I will check once back in the office.  Do the
> standard examples work for you?

No examples work.  I get the same results (same stack dump) with
rinside_sample0.  rinside_sample[1-9] also crash.

Perhaps I should mention that the examples fail to find R.dll from the R
installation directory, although it is in the command path (Windows can
find it when I type R.dll on the cmd shell command line).