[Rcpp-devel] Loading Rcpp modules from dynamic library

Michael Braun braunm at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 25 20:45:55 CET 2012

Hi.  I would like to start using Rcpp modules in my code, but I am having some trouble loading them into R.  Here is an example:

#include <Rcpp.h>

template<typename T>
class adding {

 public:
  const T a, b;
  adding(const T&, const T&);
  T add2();

};

template<typename T>
adding<T>::adding(const T& a_, const T& b_) : a(a_), b(b_) {}

template<typename T>
T adding<T>::add2() {

  T res = a + b;
  return(res);
}

RCPP_MODULE(adding){

  Rcpp::class_< adding<double> >("adding")
    .constructor<double, double>()
    .method("add2",&adding<double>::add2)
    ;
}

Then, in R, I do this:

library(Rcpp)
dyn.load("add.so")
mod <- Module("adding")
mod

The result is:

Uninitialized module named "adding" from package ".GlobalEnv"

I also tried adding a PACKAGE argument, such as PACKAGE = "add.so", to no avail.  So I am wondering if it is possible to use Rcpp modules with self-compiled code, outside of the R package structure (I believe I have good reasons for doing this).  The library may also include other C++ functions that are loaded with no problem.  It's just the module that is not recognized.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Michael

Michael Braun
Associate Professor of Management Science
MIT Sloan School of Management
100 Main St.., E62-535
Cambridge, MA 02139
braunm at mit.edu