[Rcpp-devel] RInside under Windows

Patrick Burns patrick at burns-stat.com
Tue Feb 14 21:47:21 CET 2012

On 14/02/2012 20:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 14 February 2012 at 20:04, Patrick Burns wrote:
> | Obviously I don't *really* know what I'm
> | doing, or even *sort of* know what I'm
> | doing.  But that never stopped me before.
> |
> | Here is hopefully enough breadcrumbs to
> | help someone, or even all of us.
> |

> | I've reinstalled RInside so that I am
> | starting with the original Makefile.win
> |
> | *)  There is an extraneous "n" on the first
> | line (first character) of Makefile.win -- 'make'
> | doesn't like that.
>
> I don't know for sure what your are talking about. A common fix would be to
> send a diff.  Could you do that?

This is Windows, remember -- perhaps there is a
way of doing a diff, I don't know it.  But the
start of Makefile.win that I see out of the box is:

n## -*- mode: makefile; tab-width: 8; -*-
##
## Simple Makefile for Windows

Note the bizarre first character.

> | *)  I need to comment out the command setting
> | R_HOME and set it in DOS instead.
>
> Works for me in the Makefile.win
>
> | *)  The next problem is two instances each of:
> |
> | there is no package called [Rcpp, RInside]
> |
> | This is because .libPaths() is only finding
> | the main library and not the one where the
> | installed packages go.
> |
> | This is diagnosed by adding a line to Makefile.win:
> |
> | Rlibpaths := 		$(shell echo '.libPaths()' | $(R_HOME)/bin/R $(R_ARCH)
> | --vanilla --slave)
>
> I would recommend using ~/.Rprofile which strikes me as easier.
>
> | Adding a line to the checkR task:
> |
> | echo $(Rlibpaths)
> |
> | And then doing:
> |
> | make checkR -f Makefile.win
> |
> | This is the same in 32-bit and 64-bit.
> |
> | This problem can be remedied by setting the
> | R_LIBS_USER environment variable.  You can
> | see what that is with the R command:
> |
> | Sys.getenv('R_LIBS_USER')
> |

> | *) Now there is some progress, but not much.
> |
> | It compiles:
> | rinside_callbacks0
> | rinside_module_sample0
> | rinside_sample0
>
> Can you run rinside_sample0.exe ?
>
> | And gets an error on rinside_sample1:
> |
> | reopening rinside_sample1.exe: Permission denied
>
> Huh?

Agreed.  That is the only indication of it
being upset.

But I renamed that file to try to make it do it last.
Running it again there was no error -- everything
compiled.

Compiled for 32-bit.

There is not an x64 subdirectory to 'lib' (as there is
with 'libs') so nothing compiles.

> | However the three that did compile don't run.  They
> | all have the error message:
> |
> | The program can't start because R.dll is missing from
> | your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix
> | this problem.
>
> Could that be a Win7 security setting or something like it?

That's an interesting idea.  Anyone have
ideas about testing it?

Pat

--
Patrick Burns