[Rcpp-devel] RInside under Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 14 21:14:02 CET 2012

On 14 February 2012 at 20:04, Patrick Burns wrote:
| Obviously I don't *really* know what I'm
| doing, or even *sort of* know what I'm
| doing.  But that never stopped me before.
|
| Here is hopefully enough breadcrumbs to
| help someone, or even all of us.
|

| I've reinstalled RInside so that I am
| starting with the original Makefile.win
|
| *)  There is an extraneous "n" on the first
| line (first character) of Makefile.win -- 'make'
| doesn't like that.

I don't know for sure what your are talking about. A common fix would be to
send a diff.  Could you do that?

| *)  I need to comment out the command setting
| R_HOME and set it in DOS instead.

Works for me in the Makefile.win

| *)  The next problem is two instances each of:
|
| there is no package called [Rcpp, RInside]
|
| This is because .libPaths() is only finding
| the main library and not the one where the
| installed packages go.
|
| This is diagnosed by adding a line to Makefile.win:
|
| Rlibpaths := 		$(shell echo '.libPaths()' | $(R_HOME)/bin/R $(R_ARCH)
| --vanilla --slave)

I would recommend using ~/.Rprofile which strikes me as easier.

| Adding a line to the checkR task:
|
| echo $(Rlibpaths)
|
| And then doing:
|
| make checkR -f Makefile.win
|
| This is the same in 32-bit and 64-bit.
|
| This problem can be remedied by setting the
| R_LIBS_USER environment variable.  You can
| see what that is with the R command:
|
| Sys.getenv('R_LIBS_USER')
|

| *) Now there is some progress, but not much.
|
| It compiles:
| rinside_callbacks0
| rinside_module_sample0
| rinside_sample0

Can you run rinside_sample0.exe ?

| And gets an error on rinside_sample1:
|
| reopening rinside_sample1.exe: Permission denied

Huh?

| However the three that did compile don't run.  They
| all have the error message:
|
| The program can't start because R.dll is missing from
| your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix
| this problem.

Could that be a Win7 security setting or something like it?

| This is using Rtools2.14 and R 2.14.1 with
| RInside_0.2.6 Rcpp_0.9.9

I think I used the same combination with success.

Dirk

| Pat
|
| On 14/02/2012 17:53, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > Hi Pat,
| >
| > On 14 February 2012 at 17:43, Patrick Burns wrote:
| > | Good point about the Rtools version.  I started
| > | with 2.13, but I get the same thing with 2.14.
| > |
| > | Here are the key changes that I made to Makefile.win:
| > |
| > | RCPPINCL := -IC:/Users/pat/Documents/R/win-library/2.14/Rcpp/include
| > | RCPPLIBS :=
| > | C:/Users/pat/Documents/R/win-library/2.14/Rcpp/libs/i386/Rcpp.dll
| > |
| > | RINSIDEINCL := -IC:/Users/pat/Documents/R/win-library/2.14/RInside/include
| > | RINSIDELIBS :=
| > | C:/Users/pat/Documents/R/win-library/2.14/RInside/libs/i386/libRInside.dll
| >
| > That's not quite right, is it?  What do (quoting from examples/standard/Makefile.win)
| > these do:
| >
| > ## include headers and libraries for RInside embedding classes
| > RINSIDEINCL := 		$(shell echo 'RInside:::CxxFlags()' | $(R_HOME)/bin/R $(R_ARCH) --vanilla --slave)
| > RINSIDELIBS := 		$(shell echo 'RInside:::LdFlags()'  | $(R_HOME)/bin/R $(R_ARCH) --vanilla --slave)
| >
| > | I then do:
| > |
| > | make -f Makefile.win
| > |
| > | I seem to have failed in my attempt to
| > | tell it where R lives -- I get a cygwin
| > | warning about MS-DOS style path, but I
| > | don't think that is really a problem.
| >
| > R_HOME must be defined. You can get it from R, or hardcode it.
| >
| > The single best start is to try
| >
| >      cd examples/standard
| >      make -f Makefile.win
| >
| > which should create 10+ executable. And you can borrow freely from that
| > Makefile.win which should work.
| >
| > Lastly, the Cygwin thing is line noise which you can suppress by setting an
| > env var appropriately. This comes from the newer Rtools.
| >
| > | It then attempts the g++ command, gives
| > | the multiple definition statements, and:
| >
| > Linking is still wrong then.
| >
| > Dirk
| >

| --
| Patrick Burns