[Rcpp-devel] rcpp as a compiler to create stand-alone applications

Silkworth,David J. SILKWODJ at airproducts.com
Mon Feb 6 18:48:20 CET 2012

I will defer to others for the technical response, but as for the
practical:  What's the problem with R deployment in corporations?

A 300 to 500 meg installation that enables an entire development
environment seems like valuable "overhead" to me.  The most likely
reason to avoid this deployment is to hide development sources.  (In
fact, I was drawn to Rcpp in order to do this very thing!)  What is
wrong with us?

Seems Google has no hang-up on this.  Even the EPA has recommended R to
run certain applications of their development.  I had a discussion with
Shell and Exxon-Mobil participants using this R application for ground
water dispersion study.

Personally I am shocked that I cannot get acceptance of unique technical
work within the industry simply because of the stigma of "freeware" R.

Dave Silkworth (Air Products Global Operations)