[Rcpp-devel] iak problem -- dyn.load unable to load shared object

Glenn Lawyer lawyer at mpi-inf.mpg.de
Thu Dec 13 17:08:28 CET 2012

The problem seems to be file privileges. When I run R as
superuser, it works. When I run as a normal user, I continue getting

Error in dyn.load(libLFile) :
   unable to load shared object
'/tmp/RtmpTFHtzm/file1d365e7eaf51.so':
   /tmp/RtmpTFHtzm/file1d365e7eaf51.so: undefined symbol:
_ZN4Rcpp8internal14r_vector_startILi14EdEEPT0_P7SEXPREC

Note that the names of the undefined symbol is the same for all of
the ways and examples I have tested, which include:
cxxfunction (following the vignette)
cppFunction (following Hadley's tutorial)
R CMD INSTALL -l foo mypackage
where "mypackage" is created by Rcpp.package.skeleton("mypackage")
R CMD INSTALL -l foo somepackage.tar.gz
where "somepackage" is a package downloaded from CRAN which uses Rcpp.

I would very much appreciate a hint/suggestion as to which
folders/directories/paths I may need to check to get the file
permissions correct.

Does the name of the undefined symbol tell you anything? If you
ignore some characters, it reads
...Rccp.internal..r_vector_start...SEXPR..

+glenn

On 12/12/2012 05:15 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Works for me:
>
> R>  require(Rcpp)
> R>  require(inline)
> R>  inc<- '
> +    using namespace Rcpp;
> +    double norm( double x, double y ) {
> +    return sqrt( x*x + y*y );
> +    }
> +    RCPP_MODULE(mod) {
> +    function( "norm",&norm );
> +    }
> + '
> R>  fx<- cxxfunction(signature(), plugin="Rcpp", include=inc)
> R>
> R>  mod<- Module( "mod", getDynLib(fx) )
> R>
> R>  mod$norm( 3, 4 )
> [1] 5
> R>
> R>  sessionInfo()
> R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26)
> Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
>
> locale:
>   [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C               LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8     LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
>   [6] LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8    LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C                  LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
> [11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] inline_0.3.10   RQuantLib_0.3.9 Rcpp_0.10.1.5

> [1] compiler_2.15.2 tools_2.15.2
> R>
>
> That is with Rcpp from SVN but that shouldn't matter.
>
> Dirk

Pirating science, because open access isn't always open enough
www.scipirate.com                                    @piratesci

      Dr. Glenn Lawyer
      +352 661 967 244
      Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik
      Computational Biology and Applied Algorithmics
      Campus E1 4
      66123 Saarbrücken, Germany
      http://bioinf.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~lawyer