[Rcpp-devel] Eclipse/statet IDE integration

Peter Aberline Peter.Aberline at rms.com
Mon Apr 9 19:07:57 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 9 April 2012 at 09:16, Ian Fellows wrote:

| On Apr 9, 2012, at 7:41 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|

| > Hi Ian,
| >
| > On 9 April 2012 at 00:07, Ian Fellows wrote:
| > | Hi All,
| > |
| > | So way back in the summer I figured out how to integrate Rcpp/RInside into
| > | Eclipses build system allowing for things like code completion / error checking
| > | work. I've been meaning to make some sort of public guide, but have not gotten
| > | around to it until today. I thought that some on the list might be
| > | interested...
| > |
| > | http://blog.fellstat.com/?p=170
| >
| > Wow, that looks very nice. And you have some very kind words about Rcpp /
| > RInside sprinkled in there too.
| >
| > Did you know that Peter Aberline had already been contributing cmake files
| > for RInside?  Peter was aiming for several IDEs (Eclipse, KDevelop,
| > Code::Blocks) with that.  But extending to Rcpp makes a lot of sense.
| > Any thoughts on that?
|
| No I wasn't aware of it. The only reference I found after a quick search was in the 2012-1-8 RInside news file.  I think that it would have to be incorporated into Eclipse's build system (not executed as an external tool) in order for all the features I mentioned in the post to work. My understanding is that there is an automatic cmake --> eclipse project converter, but I have not tried it.

> At this point Peter wrote CMakeLists.txt files for the different examples:

> edd at max:~$ find /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/ -name CMakeLists.txt
> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/mpi/cmake/CMakeLists.txt
> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/wt/cmake/CMakeLists.txt
> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/standard/cmake/CMakeLists.txt
> /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/RInside/examples/qt/cmake/CMakeLists.txt
> edd at max:~$

> Maybe this can be extended, combined, ... in a suitable way?

Hi,

Dirk, I know I said I would have the completed documentation to you by now, but other work commitments have got in the way sorry. I do hope to get these to you at some stage in the near future.
Ian, cmake can generate eclipse project files. You need to install cmake if it's not already installed, and then just use the -G swtich:

cmake -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles"

More info can be found here: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake:Eclipse_UNIX_Tutorial

Peter

This message and any attachments contain information that may be RMS Inc. confidential and/or privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), and have received this message in error, any use, disclosure or distribution is strictly prohibited.   If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the e-mail and permanently deleting the message from your computer and/or storage system.