[Rcpp-devel] Easy way to subset a matrix

Zarrar Shehzad zarrar.shehzad at yale.edu
Wed Sep 21 07:09:39 CEST 2011

I am not sure if there are native functions in Rcpp but you could use
RcppArmadillo to solve your problem.

So say Xs = x:

// Convert from SEXP => Rcpp => Arma
Rcpp::NumericMatrix Xr(Xs);
arma::mat X(Xr.begin(), Xr.nrow(), Xr.ncol(), false);

// Get subset of matrix and calculate variance
// (i.e., do var(x[3:10,5]))
arma::var( X.submat(3, 10, 5, 5) );

The armadillo docs are really nice so you can see those for more info on the
var and submat functions.

Cheers
Zarrar