[Rcpp-devel] Issue Installing Rcpp on Solaris

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 17 23:13:21 CEST 2011

Hi Tim,

On 17 October 2011 at 13:39, Tim Jurka wrote:
| Hi Rcpp-devel,
|
| When installing Rcpp on Solaris ( R2.13.1 Platform: i386-pc-solaris2.10 (32-bit) ) using install.packages, I get the following error:
|
| g++ -I/usr/local/lib/R/include -I../inst/include/ -I/usr/local/include    -fpic  -g -O2 -c debugging.cpp -o debugging.o
| debugging.cpp:36:22: execinfo.h: No such file or directory
| debugging.cpp: In function `SEXPREC* stack_trace(const char*, int)':
| debugging.cpp:56: error: `backtrace' was not declared in this scope
| debugging.cpp:57: error: `backtrace_symbols' was not declared in this scope
| *** Error code 1
| make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `debugging.o'
| ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘Rcpp’
|
| Has anybody encountered this problem before, and is there a known fix? Thank you in advance for all your help!

Thanks for working on Solaris.

You may well be the only non-member of R Core who does so --- Prof Ripley
usually complains to us when Rcpp breaks there, and we usually just shrug our
shoulders and point out that our hands are tied: no Solaris machine either
one of us can access, so no (meaningful) way to work on fixes.

But more recently, Martyn Plummer (CC'ed) provided two excellent patches
which helped a lot.  With those, we now have Rcpp 0.9.7, and Solaris builds
on Prof Ripley's test systems, or at least the x86-based one.  Sparc still
fails as per the results page linked from CRAN's results page for Rcpp.

Now, for the backtrace and backtrace_symbols symbols were not declared.
Grep'ing for this I found

edd at max:~$ grep -rin backtrace svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp/src/*
svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp/src/debugging.cpp:56:    stack_depth = backtrace(stack_addrs, max_depth);
svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp/src/debugging.cpp:57:    stack_strings = backtrace_symbols(stack_addrs, stack_depth);
svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp/src/debugging.cpp:67:    free(stack_strings); // malloc()ed by backtrace_symbols
edd at max:~$

and indeed, in debugging.cpp I see

#else // ! (defined(WIN32) || defined(__FreeBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__OpenBSD__)

which is lacking a Solaris test -- I may need to add    || defined(__SUNPRO_CC)
test as well.

Could you try locally if that works?  Maybe Google can suggest another
Solaris variable to test for too?

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx