[Rcpp-devel] Using printf: Error in source("/tmp/printf.r") : /tmp/printf.r:8:11: unexpected input

Romain François romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Fri Nov 18 20:39:47 CET 2011

This has nothing to do with printf, this is simply because you use
double quotes 'inside' double quotes, replace the outer quotes by single
quotes and you should be fine.

Please also note that Rprintf is preferred, because it will work on all
platforms or user interfaces.

Hope this helps,

Romain

Le 18/11/11 20:32, Paul Menzel a écrit :
> Dear Rcpp folks,
>

> could you please give me a hint on how to use `printf`.
>
>          library(inline)
>          inc<- "
>          #include<stdio.h>
>          "
>
>          drucken<-cxxfunction(includes=inc, plugin="Rcpp", body="
>            unsigned int length = 1;
>            printf("%u\\n", length);
>
>            return wrap(length);
>          ")
>
> throws the following error, when I try to source it.
>
>          >  source("/tmp/printf.r")
>          Error in source("/tmp/printf.r") : /tmp/printf.r:8:11: unexpected input
>          7:   unsigned int length = 1;
>          8:   printf("%u\\n", length);
>
> Removing the `printf` statement gets rid of the error. I tested the
> standalone example and `gcc` does not complain.
>
>          /* printf example */
>          #include<stdio.h>
>
>          int main()
>          {
>            unsigned int length = 1;
>            printf("%u \n", length);
>
>            return length;
>          }
>
> Probably my mistake is a simple one because
>
>> source("/usr/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/examples/RcppInline/RcppInlineWithLibsExamples.r")
> works and `printf` statements are used in there. (I had to install
> `libgsl0-dev` to get the headers.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Romain Francois