[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp::wrap seg fault (when called with a NULL pointer)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue May 24 13:46:30 CEST 2011

On 24 May 2011 at 13:22, Christoph Bergmeir wrote:
| Hello everybody,
|
| I just ran into the following problem: Using Rcpp::wrap with a NULL pointer crashes my R. I'm not so sure if this is a bug or if I'm using Rcpp::wrap in a way it shouldn't be used, so I wanted to discuss this here.
|
| Here is some example code:
|
| This works fine:
| #-----------------------------------
| library(inline)
|
| src <- '
|      const char* ret = "test";
|      return Rcpp::wrap(ret);
|      '
|
| fun <- cxxfunction(signature(), src, plugin="Rcpp")
| fun()
| #-----------------------------------
|
| Whereas this crashes R:
| #-----------------------------------
|
| src <- '
| const char* ret = NULL;
| return Rcpp::wrap(ret);
| '
|
| fun <- cxxfunction(signature(), src, plugin="Rcpp")
| fun()
| #-----------------------------------

I think this is mostly of the

    Q  Doctor, doctor it hurts when I do this!
    A  Well then don't it

variety.  wrap() is tasked with making a valid SEXP out of what you hand it.
Maybe you want to test for NULL before calling it.

Dirk

| I'm using Rcpp 0.9.4 and R.2.13, which I think are the latest versions.
|
| Regards,
| Christoph
|
| PD: Dirk, Romain, I just read through the slides you made for this workshop a month ago. Great work! Thanks a lot!

Thanks!

| --
| Christoph Bergmeir
| e-mail: c.bergmeir at decsai.ugr.es
| Grupo SCI2S, DiCITS Lab          (http://sci2s.ugr.es/DiCITS)
| Dpto. de Ciencias de la Computacion e Inteligencia Artificial
| E.T.S. Ingenierias de Informatica y Telecomunicacion
| Universidad de Granada
| 18071 - GRANADA (Spain)

Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com