[Rcpp-devel] [Segfault Reason] Beginner Question: Same code *sometimes* fails due to segfault sometimes

Sunny Srivastava research.baba at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:59:36 CEST 2011

Hi Rcpp-users:

I am a very happy user of Rcpp. I am a statistician who can code a bit.
Recently, I have been working on making my cross validation code run faster
using Rcpp.

I have a question and wanted to check if others have faced similar problems.

My code sometimes fails with a segmentation fault error, however this
behavior cannot be replicated. That is, most of the times it runs fine and
gives appropriate results, but once in a while it will fail due to
segmentation fault and gives error like --

 *** caught segfault ***
address 0x18, cause 'memory not mapped'

I don't think this is normal, but how can it give correct answers when it
runs correctly. Any ideas?

I would be happy to share code, but I wanted to see if I am missing
something here. (I have limited experience as a C++ programmer.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,
S.