[Rcpp-devel] Possible unprotected memory problems

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 21 20:04:23 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Douglas Bates <bates at stat.wisc.edu> wrote:
> In testing this new version of lme4 based on RcppEigen, I have
> encountered what looks to be a memory protection problem.  Naturally
> it only occurs on the large examples but I may be able to provoke it
> with gctorture even for a small example.
>
> I'm using Rcpp Modules to expose some classes in C++.  The symptom is
> that suddenly, probably as the result of a garbage collection, the
> value of one of the methods jumps.  In this case the residuals
> suddenly appear to be zero.
>
> I'll start trying to track this but may end up running out of time as
> I have some presentations for the next few weeks to prepare.

This is probably my fault.  I was being careful to avoid copying some
large structures.  I used the Eigen::Map capability to share R's
storage but, unlike a case where the object in the C structure would
be a NumericVector or NumericMatrix, the contents of the R object were
not being protected because it would go out of scope.  I'll need to
rewrite that part of the logic.  Sorry for the false alarm.