[Rcpp-devel] Debugging Rcpp packages with GDB

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Tue Jan 18 21:24:17 CET 2011

Can people share any tricks they use to debug Rcpp packages? For example, can I "print" variables in a format that's a bit more high-level, like something that I would get if I sent them to "cout"?

If that's not entirely obvious from my question, I am not a GDB expert. :-) Basically, my workflow is: "attach to the R process", "set a breakpoint at the function entry point", "single-step and print variable values". I have used watches and conditional breakpoints in GUI debuggers, but not (yet) in gdb. Are there any Rcpp-specific gotchas to using those features with GDB?

Thanks,

Davor