[Rcpp-devel] R.e. continuing attempts with throw/catch problem

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 15 16:18:06 CET 2011

On 14 January 2011 at 21:46, Christian Gunning wrote:
| On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM,
| <rcpp-devel-request at lists.r-forge.r-project.org> wrote:
| >

| >  [previously sent to Dirk but here in case anyone else is interested,
| > and for archival purposes]
| >
| >  Things are feeling alarmingly non-deterministic, but that may be
| > because I've been sloppy.  I've been working mostly with a stock R
| > 2.12.1 install (Ubuntu 10.10), but have also tried R-devel and a
| > custom-compiled R 2.12.1 (at various times configured --with-blas,
| > --with-lapack OR --without-blas, --without-lapack: as I understand it I
| > should stick with the --with variant and use Dirk's tools to manipulate
| > which libraries are actually used?)
| >
| >  This script ought to work anywhere, as long as lme4a is installed (I'm
| > using ...-60, which is a fresh install from r-forge), gcbd is installed
| > (CRAN), and you have network access ...
| >
| >  Note that lme4a does **not** seem to work with Rcpp 0.9.0.2 (fresh
| > R-forge install), but does (except for this particular problem) with
| > Rcpp 0.9.0 (fresh CRAN install).
| >
| > library(gcbd)  ## utilities for messing with BLAS/ATLAS etc.
| > tryscript <- function() {
| > source(url("http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/R/misc/throw.R")) }
| > ## make sure no accelerated packages are present
| > purgeAtlas()
| > purgeAtlas39()
| > purgeGoto()
| > purgeMKL()
| > tryscript()
| > installAtlas() ## restore Atlas ...
| >
| >  Is there anyone out there *besides me* for whom this crashes at
| > tryscript()?  It seems to happen whether I purgeAtlas() or not.  Is it
| > necessary
|
| FWIW, I just tried this and the script successfully issues an error in
| all permutations of Atlas state using a stock R 2.12.0 on Ubuntu
| Jaunty (do you suspect that R 2.12.1 an integral part of the
| question?).  Note that I *just* installed newest R-forge versions of
| Rcpp (0.9.0.2), Matrix (0.999375-47), MatrixModels (0.2-1), and lme4a
| (0.999375-60).

*Much* appreciated. I hadn't gotten around to it.

| Note that I don't have gotoblas2, revolution-mkl
| r-revolution-revobase, etc. in my apt repositories, so purgeMKL()
| purgeGoto() aren't meaningful for me.

The Goto and Atlas39 packages used in my gcbd paper/package were local. MKL
is in fact public in Ubuntu repos:

edd at max:~$ apt-cache policy revolution-mkl
apt-cache policy revolution-mkl
revolution-mkl:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.0.0-1ubuntu1
  Version table:
     3.0.0-1ubuntu1 0
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/multiverse amd64 Packages
edd at max:~$

Atlas39 and Goto should 'one day' be available as Goto is now under a BSD license.

Dirk