[Rcpp-devel] Loading a package using Rcpp Modules results in memory corruption

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 21:39:59 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 10 January 2011 at 14:55, Dominick Samperi wrote:
> | For those who may be tempted to release "free software," this is an
> | illustration of the greatest hazard. Imagine seeing your prior work
> | "released as deprecated" in a public CRAN repository.
>
> Yes, it is surely much better to release it and then have it rot
> unmaintained:
>
>     Exhibit A: RcppTemplate
>
>     Exhibit B: cxxPack
>
> Can't wait for your next piece of art.

Yes, I'm sure you can't wait, as when I released a major update to
RcppTemplate in November 2009 and you famously remarked (see
README from Rcpp 0.6.3, pre-Romain):

"As of November 2009, Dominick has re-commenced maintenance of RcppTemplate
with new releases on CRAN.  This may provide a good opportunity to import
some new ideas into Rcpp as well, time permitting."

When Romain joined the project he implemented many of the changes that I
introduced here, and much more, a nice free-ride for you.

Indeed, Romain made so much progress that I reshaped cxxPack from
RcppTemplate, with a dependency on Rcpp.

The reason I have not updated cxxPack is that I have been trying
to decide whether or not to simply incorporate all or part of Rcpp into
cxxPack rather than keeping the package dependency. I would have
preferred to keep the dependency and work cooperatively and
constructively with the Rcpp team, for the net benefit of the R
community, but perhaps this is no longer possible.

Dominick