[Rcpp-devel] Ancient Rcpp for OS X on CRAN [Was: Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()]

Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com
Tue Feb 22 23:51:52 CET 2011

On 2/22/11 4:33 PM, "Simon Urbanek" <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:29 PM, <Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com>
><Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

>>> Well, I don't think that helps in any way - the test will still fail
>>>for
>>> all 10.5 users. Why don't you just fix the test? It's up to you, but
>>> removing Rcpp from CRAN won't help anyone (well, almost ;)).
>>

>> Actually it helps a great deal, it means that 10.6 users can install
>> something.
>>

>Can you explain? You can always install from sources (provided you have
>all the tools etc.) - regardless whether there is a binary or not...

That's true - but for most OS X users, myself included until just a couple
hours ago, it looks like (when using the R.app GUI install tools) the
oldest successfully-built binary is the "latest available version", unless
someone like Dirk points us to the source install and says it should work
fine.  So it certainly helped me because I didn't know what I was missing.

>>What's this about removing Rcpp from CRAN though?  Just a joke I assume?
>>

>No, why?

Because it's a useful package, of course.  And CRAN is where someone
should go to find useful R packages.

--
Ken Williams
Senior Research Scientist