[Rcpp-devel] Ancient Rcpp for OS X on CRAN [Was: Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()]

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 22 23:32:44 CET 2011

On 22 February 2011 at 17:25, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|

| > On 22 February 2011 at 16:53, Simon Urbanek wrote:
| > | i386 = 32-bit (not that is matters) and the CRAN specs are listed in "CRAN Package Check Flavors" saying OS X 10.5.8, gcc 4.2.1 (5577 to be precise).
| > | I can only speculate why they are not affected, and I'd say it's because they use 10.6 and not 10.5 (consequence of which are different compilers as well).
| >
| > Is there any expectation of you upgrading these from OS X 10.5 to 10.6?
| >

| No, too many users still have 10.5 and 10.6 has dropped ppc support, so we don't plan to drop Leopard support anytime soon.
|

| > Is there a possibility that you bifurcate the builds into 'current' and
| > 'older' systems which, IIRC, is done for Windoze as per
| > http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Rcpp.html
| >
| > It is a bit of a mismatch that you pull pre-release versions of R itself yet
| > host them on older OS versions.
| >

| No, even R-devel is build with 10.5 target - R version and OS have nothing it common. Windows is split only because of 64-bit support which is not available in older OSes - that is the only reason why the builds are not on XP anymore, they would be otherwise.
|

| > Anyway---I will point our OS X user to source installs.
| >

| Well, I don't think that helps in any way - the test will still fail for all 10.5 users. Why don't you just fix the test? It's up to you, but removing Rcpp from CRAN won't help anyone (well, almost ;)).

I CC'ed you on a detailed post I sent to our internal rcpp-core list. It
smells like a compiler issue to me.

What boolean test for 'am I on OS X 10.5' can you suggest?  I will then
disable the test.  Maybe Ken or Baptiste can test that and I would submit the
thusly amended tarball as 0.9.2 so the we all can get back to peace, love and
apple pie rather than fighting Steve Jobs' insistence on an outdated compiler.

Dirk