[Rcpp-devel] Ancient Rcpp for OS X on CRAN [Was: Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Feb 22 23:25:52 CET 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:12 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 22 February 2011 at 16:53, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> | i386 = 32-bit (not that is matters) and the CRAN specs are listed in "CRAN Package Check Flavors" saying OS X 10.5.8, gcc 4.2.1 (5577 to be precise).
> | I can only speculate why they are not affected, and I'd say it's because they use 10.6 and not 10.5 (consequence of which are different compilers as well).
>
> Is there any expectation of you upgrading these from OS X 10.5 to 10.6?

No, too many users still have 10.5 and 10.6 has dropped ppc support, so we don't plan to drop Leopard support anytime soon.

> Is there a possibility that you bifurcate the builds into 'current' and
> 'older' systems which, IIRC, is done for Windoze as per
> http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Rcpp.html
>
> It is a bit of a mismatch that you pull pre-release versions of R itself yet
> host them on older OS versions.

No, even R-devel is build with 10.5 target - R version and OS have nothing it common. Windows is split only because of 64-bit support which is not available in older OSes - that is the only reason why the builds are not on XP anymore, they would be otherwise.

> Anyway---I will point our OS X user to source installs.

Well, I don't think that helps in any way - the test will still fail for all 10.5 users. Why don't you just fix the test? It's up to you, but removing Rcpp from CRAN won't help anyone (well, almost ;)).

Cheers,
Simon