[Rcpp-devel] Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Feb 17 01:40:59 CET 2011

On 16 February 2011 at 17:05, Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com wrote:

| On 2/16/11 4:53 PM, "Dirk Eddelbuettel" <edd at debian.org> wrote:

| >aforementioned
| >override
| >|
| >| Aha, I hadn't suspected that plugins would be the secret to using
| >| libraries.
| >
| >No, as I tried to explain in great length. The minimal example should
| >always
| >be
| >
| >    $ export PKG_CXXFLAGS="...some header location..."
| >    $ export PKG_LIBS="...some libs..."
| >    $ R CMD SHLIB foo.cpp
| >
| >and inline / cxxfunction can be of help if you know these values.

I worded that poorly. It also need "and you know which values you want to
stick into your customized call of cxxfunction".

| Well, I figured (because of section 2.4 in the Rcpp-FAQ) that I'd be
| frowned upon if I tried to do that.  Having already committed so many
| frownable offenses I wasn't eager to add another one.

:)

Note, though, that Rcpp FAQ queston 2.4 is for a completely different
context:  a _vanilla_ C++ file with no other depends.  All your woes here are
to the non-standardness of your problem.  Which is somehting that is not as
well documented as it is, well, less standard.

| Thanks for the help.

Always a pleasure.

Cheers, Dirk