[Rcpp-devel] RInside: compiling examples (ubuntu)

Darren Cook darren at dcook.org
Thu Aug 25 15:34:10 CEST 2011

> | I get these errors:
> |
> | make: WARNING:: Command not found
> | So RInside and all its deps are correctly installed, and I'm wondering
> | if the Makefile is depending on some other system configuration that I
> | don't have?
>
> It is really just a shell / Makefile interaction as you can see in the
> Makefile.  Works for me and many others too....

Thanks, Dirk, for the makefile debugging tip. It seems this line:
   R_HOME := 		$(shell R RHOME)

goes horribly wrong if R reports a warning. It was outputting:
  WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
  /usr/lib64/R

I cannot find any commandline parameters that will shut it up. :-(

One idea for a Makefile fix is: only setting R_HOME if no environment
variable already set. Is there a use case where someone has set R_HOME
in their environment, but does not want to use it, and instead wants to
use what "R RHOME" outputs?

Darren

P.S. Going back to my machine it appears that R_HOME is set to
/usr/lib/R; when I explicitly set it to /usr/lib64/R the warning goes away.
/usr/lib64 is a symlink to /usr/lib, so the warning is just noise. It
has not affected compiling any R packages, or using Rcpp, inline, etc.

The problem setting was found in /etc/environment, and may have been
leftover from an earlier R installation. Also, it seems the "R RHOME"
command is hyper-sensitive: If I set R_HOME to "/usr/lib64/R/" it still
complains. I need to remove the trailing slash to appease it.