[Rcpp-devel] Mac problem (possibly not Rcpp's fault)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Tue Apr 5 21:14:34 CEST 2011

On Apr 5, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 5 April 2011 at 14:00, Simon Urbanek wrote:
> | Nope - we do support 10.5 (Leopard) of course. The difference above is that the latter student has probably an ancient Xcode installed (2.x) whereas we recommend Xcode 3.x (and require it for compatibility with CRAN binaries). It is available from ADC free of charge (the latest version for Leopard is Xcode 3.1.4)
>
> Very, very good -- thank you!
>
> I took this opportunity to add this to the Rcpp-FAQ as the following.
> Corrections or suggestions welcome.  We did just wrap up 0.9.3 which should
> hit CRAN either today or tomorrow so this won't be in it yet.
>
> Dirk
>

> \subsection{I am having problems building Rcpp on OS X, any help ?}
>
> OS X is a little more conservative with compiler versions, so it pays to get
> the latest of whatever Apple releases which may already be a little behind
> what is used on Linux or Windows.
>
> At the time of writing this paragraph (in the spring of 2011), \pkg{Rcpp}
> (just like CRAN) supports all OS X releases greater or equal to 10.5.
> However, building \pkg{Rcpp} from source (or building packages using
> \pkg{Rcpp}) also requires a recent-enough version of Xcode; the current
> version is 3.1.4 which can be downloaded free of charge from the Apple
> Developer site.

Two minor comments:

a) Xcode 3.1.x is for Leopard only, Snow Leopard comes with Xcode 3.2.x (but there any version will work since there is nothing older than 3.2.0 for SL).

b) I'm not 100% sure whether gcc 4.2 is the default in Xcode 3.1.4 -- I think and hope it is, but there is a very small probability that it may not be (mine is already set to gcc 4.2 and I don't have a "clean" machine to test it).

Cheers,
Simon