[Rcpp-devel] Help Rcpp under ubuntu with QT4

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 11 19:22:17 CEST 2010

Please do not send html mail.

On 11 October 2010 at 17:53, Paulo Trigueiros wrote:
|     I need some help on compiling the examples that come eith Rcpp under
|     ubuntu with QT4. Is it possible?<br>
|     I always get the message "Cannot find library Rcpp".<br>

1)  That makes no sense.  The Rcpp examples do not contain Qt so you cannot
    "compile under Qt 4".  This is entirely independent.

2)  The examples work. I happen to develop on Ubuntu myself.

3)  Just change directory into the examples directory. Run make. Look at
    the generated commands, ie the arguments to g++ et al

4)  Learn how to write .pro files for qmake and Qt. It is well documented.
    You can use the input from step 3) to do this.

5)  And if you error is "Cannot find library Rcpp" then you trying to write
    you own framwork without understanding it.  See point 4) -- you need to
    tell qmake that it needs to create a link instruction against libRcpp and
    you to tell it where to find it. Plus the rpath argument [see 3) above]
    or else you need to tell ld.so where libRcpp.so is.

6)  One can possibly run shell commands from when qmake evaluates the .pro
    file to generate the Makefile. I have not yqt combined Rcpp and Qt,
    though I have written C++ programs with both frameworks. I expect no
    troubles.

7)  Lastly, and please do not take this the wrong way: Leanrn to write better
    emails asking for help. We don't know what you did so we cannot help
    more.

Hope this helps, Dirk