[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp-devel Digest, Vol 12, Issue 8

Christian Gunning xian at unm.edu
Sat Oct 9 05:39:40 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 8 October 2010 at 04:28, Christian Gunning wrote:
> | Yes, I've used this successfully.  I have run into trouble extracting
> | elements of length>1 from lists with variable-length elements, e.g.
> | _mylist = list(a=1, b=1:3), mylist["a"] works but mylist["b"] is
> | squirrely.
>
> Please send a reproducible test case.  I use the same approach a lot and have
> not had issues.

Ah. I see now that, in the example above, mylist["a"] is a 1-length
NumericVector and (mylist["b"])[1] is a double.  My confustion was
using (mylist["b"])[1] in places that expected a NumericVector (like
Rf_PrintValue() or return() ), or trying to pull the single element
into a NumericVector:

NumericVector i(mylist["b]);

which, of course, initializes a NumericVector of length mylist["b"].

Thanks,
Christian