[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp modules : help with the design

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Mon May 31 20:07:37 CEST 2010

Thanks John,

Le 31/05/10 18:23, John Chambers a écrit :
> Just a couple of comments.
>
> 1. class names
> One result of creating an S4 class with the same name as the C++ class
> is that you may be hiding another S4 class of that name. Always possible
> in any application, but when dealing with an inter-system interface it
> may be more likely and more of a problem. You might, at least as an
> option, make the class name involve the module name as well:
> "yada_World" or something along that line.

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm not sure I'd like writing code
that looks like this :

setMethod( "foo", signature( x = "yada__World", y = "yada__Foo"), ... )

But this is of course a real problem. One thing is that it is the user
who decides the R class name, so the example below could have been :

class_<World>( "SomethingElse" )

I guess we could add a "prefix" option in Module so that it would prefix
all class names with it.

One other thing is that when we do :

yada <- Module( "yada" )
World <- yada$World
w <- new( World )

there are no quotes around "World", i.e. we have a generic "new" (the
idea was borrowed from rJava). I was wondering if something like this
would work for setMethod, e.g. something like :

setMethod( "foo" , signature( x = World, y = Foo ), .... )

where World and Foo are objects, not strings. We could probably easily do :

setMethod( "foo", World, ... )

but I'm not sure this would work with signature, etc ... and if this is
a good idea at all.

One other thing, when we load the module with the Module function, it
sets "where" to the top environment of the parent frame (same as what
setClass does), so if Module is called from a package namespace, classes
are defined inside the namespace. not sure it plays a role in a
potential dispatch clash.

> 2. inheritance.
> If the exposure of the C++ class were to include its C++-side
> inheritance, it might be useful for the implied S4 classes to have
> analogous inheritance, but that information would need to be in the module.

We currently don't deal with C++ level inheritance. The model
(Boost.Python) does though so it is likely that we'll want that at some
point.

When we figure it out, I totally agree that the R level should be aware
of the inheritance and S4 inheritance is perfect for that.

Romain

> John
>

> On 5/29/10 1:25 AM, Romain Francois wrote:
>> Le 29/05/10 09:10, Romain Francois a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Currently, when exposing a c++ class to R through a Rcpp module, e.g:
>>>
>>> class World {
>>> public:

--
Romain Francois