[Rcpp-devel] compiliing error

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon May 3 22:24:27 CEST 2010

Hi Chuan,

Thanks for reposting on list.

On 3 May 2010 at 15:57, chuan gao wrote:
| Hi ALL,
| I've been playing with RInside for while but can't get it work, I am using
| redhat enterprise 5 and i used the following command to install.
|

| svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/rinside
|
| cd rinside/
|
| R CMD INSTALL pkg

Ok. That is one way.  A slightly safer way might be to stick to released
versions from CRAN for both Rcpp and RInside.

| the messange returned are attached, does it have to do with the fact that I am
| not installing R as library? how can i do that if I should?
|

| * installing to library \u2018/usr/local/lib64/R/library\u2019

The mix of forward and backward slashes has me a little worried. What creates
the backslashes?

| * installing *source* package \u2018RInside\u2019 ...
| ** libs
| ** arch -
| R was not built as a library
| R was not built as a library

That is probably something you need to look into.  Romain and I only use
systems that have R built as a shared library: Debian / Ubuntu, Fedora, OS X.

Because RInside wants to attempt R, we need R as a shared library.  You may
want to look into getting a different binary of R, or building your own.
Maybe the r-sig list for Fedora/Red Hat can help.

Dirk

| /usr/local/lib64/R/bin/R --vanilla --slave < tools/RInsideEnvVars.r >
| RInsideEnvVars.h
| /usr/local/lib64/R/bin/R --vanilla --slave < tools/RInsideAutoloads.r >
| RInsideAutoloads.h
| g++ -o libRInside.so  MemBuf.o RInside.o -shared
| ar qc libRInside.a MemBuf.o RInside.o
| cp libRInside.so  ../inst/lib
| cp RInside.h MemBuf.h RInsideCommon.h Callbacks.h ../inst/lib
| cp libRInside.a ../inst/lib
| rm libRInside.so  libRInside.a
| ** R
| ** inst
| ** preparing package for lazy loading
| ** help
| *** installing help indices
| ** building package indices ...
| ** testing if installed package can be loaded
|
| * DONE (RInside)
|
| Thank you very much!
| Chuan

  Regards, Dirk