[Rcpp-devel] generalizing make_list

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Thu Mar 18 12:22:15 CET 2010

Hello,

I am very happy about the make_list templates, but it only handles
lists, and the next best thing would be having something that would
handle all sorts of vectors.

With some imagination, I think we can achieve this, but I was wondering
what the interface should be like. I was thinking maybe making it static
member function templates of Vector<>, so that we would do for example:

NumericVector x = NumericVector::create(
	_["x"] = 2.0,
	_["y"] = 1.0
) ;

I am more interested about a discussion about what should it be instead
of create than the usual conversation about _. There will be an
alternative to _, although it might involve more syntax, e.g.

NumericVector x = NumericVector::create(
	named<REALSXP>("x") = 2.0,
	named<REALSXP>("y") = 1.0
) ;

or :

NumericVector x = NumericVector::create(
	NumericVector::named("x") = 2.0,
	NumericVector::named("y") = 1.0
) ;

etc ...