[Rcpp-devel] Some suggestions

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:27:05 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Romain Francois
<romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> Le 11/07/10 17:51, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
>
>> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Romain Francois
>> <romain at r-enthusiasts.com <mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com>> wrote:Le
>>
>> 11/07/10 02:14, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
>>
>>        Romain,
>>
>>        I made two small changes that should have no impact at all since
>>        they only
>>        apply when you build using windows DLL's (not static libs).
>>        Obviously these
>>        are not tested by a win-builder submission.
>>

>>    Why not.
>>

>> Because testing this would require PATH to be changed at CRAN to include
>> the directory containing Rcpp.dll, and this must be done BEFORE the
>> package
>> build or check process. This would have to be done using a Windows batch
>> file as part of the initialization. Doing it in configure.win will not
>> work. Also,
>> a real test would require another package (like cxxPack) that links
>> against
>> Rcpp dynamically.
>>

> As I said, check the runit.client.package.R test that does exactly this:
> checking that a client package works.
>
> We do test that documented ways to include Rcpp headers and link against
> the user libraries work.
>
> While on the subject, the current best way to pull header files in is to
> use LinkingTo: Rcpp and not:
>
> PKG_CPPFLAGS = $(shell $(R_HOME)/bin/Rscript --vanilla -e
> "Rcpp:::CxxFlags()")
>
> which is what several packages are still using, including cxxPack.

Why are you telling me what I obviously already know? Your reply does not
address
any of the points that I raised here about Windows dynamic linking. In
particular,
runit.client.package.R does not address these issues at all (only the STATIC
library libRcpp.a is used).

Dominick