[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp 0.8.3 and those other operating systems

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 19:23:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> "Sugar" started really only good post-0.8.2. And with the Rmetrics meeting
> coming up, and a larger than usual set of changes, we released 0.8.3 right
> before that meeting. At the time Rcpp passed on all systems we could test
> on.
> We do nto release when we know of failures. [ Hint: If only we already had
> "bin-builder" ... ].

I think you mean win-builder (http://win-builder.r-project.org/), and yes,
using
this service as part of integration testing before releasing to CRAN will
reduce
the number of problems for client packages that use Rcpp. 1000 unit tests
will
not help. Indeed, this should be required given that you do not use or test
under Windows, yet there are many Windows users.

It would also be helpful if you inform the authors of client packages before
releasing duplicate functionality that will break the build for these
packages (Rcpp 0.8.3 broke the build of cxxPack). This incompatibility
was known, yet was released.

Dominick